One person can make or break a team, so it is hard to underestimate the importance of hiring decisions. The average cost of turnover is about 150% of the salary for a position, and it ranges from 30% – 400% of the salary depending on the nature of the job. Given the consequences of hiring the right or wrong person, the importance of a robust employee selection process is apparent. Credo Consulting’s background in employee selection, job design, team effectiveness, and personality profiling gives us the capacity to help clients with four components of “getting the right people on the bus.”
Credo helps organizations:
- Define the role to fit the organization’s strategic needs.
- Profile the technical qualifications and qualities of desirable candidates.
- Design structured interviews that provide insight into candidates’ technical qualifications and fit.
- Administer and interpret personality profiles to assess a candidate’s fit with the organization.
Ultimately, the effectiveness of a hiring decision is rooted in two things:
- Job Analysis – a thorough analysis of the role the successful candidate will fill
- Talent Assessment – a comprehensive assessment of an applicant’s technical qualifications and personality fit for the job/organization.
Though this concept is simple, conducting a solid analysis takes some doing, and accurately assessing candidates is more complex than most managers imagine. That’s where we can help.
Over the last 20 years, industrial psychologists have established that certain personality traits (Conscientiousness, Agreeableness and Openness to Experience) are important for success in a wide variety of settings. Many personality assessments tap these global traits, but that doesn’t mean any personality measure will do. Assessing a candidate’s fit requires a more precise measurement of these global traits as well as an assessment of other traits that are needed for the specific situation.
Credo Consulting uses the Harrison Suitability Assessment System to assess candidates’ qualifications and fit for jobs in our client organizations. The Harrison Suitability Assessment builds a custom profile for each job based on an analysis of your specific needs and profiles of people who have been successful in similar job in other organizations. Job candidates take the assessment online and are compared with your custom profile so the hiring manager can make an informed decision. Because the custom profile and assessment encompass indicators of technical qualifications and measures of personality fit, the Harrison Suitability Assessment is a particularly robust employee selection tool.
To perform a cost benefit analysis of talent assessment tools in selection, see Cost Benefit of Talent Assessments.